On the surface, it sure sounds great. How could it be bad for the president of the United States and/or other politicians to use social media tools like Facebook and Twitter to get their messages out to the American people?
But with journalists trying to figure out their place in the world of new media, there's no good filter. It's pretty tough, if not impossible, for reporters to fight the Obama PR and marketing machine. With all that direct contact with the public, he doesn't have to be accountable to the press or answer any media questions--really. I think whether you like the president or not (and I do like him), that kind of power is a bad thing. A dangerous thing.
Having said that, I realize it could very well be journalists' own fault (and I lump myself in that group) for not being prepared to handle this new environment. That's why discussions about the role of technology in our jobs are so important right now. Journalists especially need to figure things out--and fast.
I agree. The news media is experiencing a painful process of transition at the moment. The old rules are changing. I found it interesting to see how the rules for what news sources are worthy of a Pulitizer Prize are changing.
ReplyDeleteGreat point. It is interesting news organizations that publish only online content can now be considered for a Pulitzer Prize. Maybe this blog has a chance...
ReplyDelete